The first rule of creativity in design is that there are no rules. Fortunately, apps and design software now have so many options for tailoring your work precisely to your vision that they can be – if anything – overwhelming. You can usually find or easily create exactly what you need: the right colors, dimensions, and shapes. But, what about fonts? If you’re trying to learn how to add fonts to Picsart for your next design project, you’ve come to the right place.
Why use custom fonts for design projects?
We all have our go-to fonts for everyday use, and some of us have ones we especially love when doing creative projects. Perhaps you’re a company owner and you use the same font for all of your brand communications. This helps establish a consistent brand look and feel for your customers.
Complex display or cursive fonts are pretty difficult to make from scratch. So, if there is a readymade one you already like or use, the ideal solution is to be able to access it whenever you need for any design you’re creating. However, not all programs have the same fonts in their libraries, and this can make designers feel like we need to settle for something similar to our ideal font, even if it’s not quite what we had in mind.
Good news: In many cases, you don’t need to settle. You can get the exact font you want by downloading it and importing it into the design program you use. While this may seem like extra work, it’s actually a quick and simple process. Plus, once you import the font, you’ll be able to use it on all future projects.
How to add unique free fonts to any Picsart project
In this tutorial, we’ll walk you through how to add fonts to Picsart, so that you can add that lettering you know and love to all your designs.
- Find the perfect font. This step will require a little research on your part, but you should be able to locate precisely the font you want quickly. Simply search the Internet for free fonts or use a database like Google fonts to find the perfect lettering. We recommend doing this on your phone so that you can seamlessly transition into the next steps of this tutorial, which specifically apply to our mobile app. Once you’ve located the correct font, download it to your phone from the third-party site of your choice. Before leaving that site, take a minute to read the fine print on the font you downloaded. Make sure you understand the permissions and where you can use this lettering. Some fonts, for example, are only for personal use, while others are for commercial projects as well.
- Now, you’ll need to locate the file that you just downloaded to your phone. Keep in mind, the file’s location may vary depending on what type of phone you have. On the iPhone we used for this tutorial, the file was in the internet downloads folder. Once you locate the font, click on the file name.
3. Click on the export icon at the bottom of the screen. A quick note: You may find this icon or function in a different place if you use an operating system that varies from the iPhone we used for this tutorial. Next, click on the Picsart icon to launch the application. Your font should now be available for use within the program, and we’ll show you exactly where to find it in the next few steps.
4. Once in the Picsart mobile app, click on the purple plus sign (+) at the bottom of the screen to start a new project.
5. Now, choose a photo from your personal library or select one of our many backgrounds as the base for your project. Your text will go on top of this background, so choose one that will contrast nicely with the lettering you’re planning to use.
6. On the editing screen, choose Text from the menu below your canvas. Doing so will bring up a text box on your screen.
7. Add whatever text you’d like, and don’t worry about the font, size, or color for now. You’ll be able to change these stylistic aspects in the following steps. When you’re finished writing, click the check mark in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
8. Tap on the Font icon in the Editor toolbar, and then click on the teal arrow in the left-hand corner under your image to pull up our library of searchable fonts.
9. Now, at the bottom of the screen, you’ll see a heart icon that reads My Fonts. Tap on this option to open the custom fonts library you’ve downloaded.
10. In your personal font list, you should see the option you just added. Click on it to add it to your text, and voiliá! You’ve successfully added a new font to your library. Now it will be there for easy use in future projects.
11. Back on the editing screen, you can now transform the font as needed. You can apply all the same stylistic changes to this imported font as you would have with one that was already in our library. Use your fingers to stretch out the text box until the lettering is the correct size. Then, tap on Color to change the text color as desired. If you’re satisfied, jump down to the last step to learn how to export and share your image.
12. Now, you can also change other features of your text using tools like Bend, Highlight, and Stroke. In the image below, we applied a contrasting stroke – also known as an outline – so that the lettering stands out better against the background.
13. When you’ve finished transforming your text, you can add other necessary elements like stickers or effects. Once you’re happy with the finished product, export the image by clicking on the downward arrow above your canvas to save your custom font edit to your phone. Or, tap to the Share screen to share directly on social media or with the Picsart community.
That’s it! Now that you know how to add fonts to Picsart, it’s time to start designing your own.
- 50 Free Styled Fonts for Creating Elegant Designs
- Announcing AI-Generated Fonts: Paving the Way for Unlimited Fonts in the Future
- Typeface Vs Font: Key Differences & How To Use Them
- 15 Best Free Calligraphy and Lettering Fonts
Create at the Speed of Culture
Picsart is a photo and video editing platform and creative community. A top 20 most downloaded app worldwide with over 150 million monthly active users, its AI-powered tools enable creators of all levels to design, edit, draw, and share content anywhere. The platform has amassed one of the largest open-source content collections in the world, including photos, stickers, backgrounds, templates, and more. Used by consumers, marketers, content creators and businesses, Picsart tools fulfill both personal and professional design needs. Picsart has collaborated with major artists and brands like BLACKPINK, Taylor Swift, Lizzo, Ariana Grande, Warner Bros. Entertainment, iHeartMedia, Condé Nast, and more. Download the app or start editing on web today, and upgrade to Gold for premium perks!