Ok. So I'm making this because the alternative subcultures I'm gonna talk about have had their definitions thrown out the window like they're trash. I'm gonna talk about the following subcultures: Goth, Emo, and Punk.
P U N K
1) you cannot be conservative and punk. If you are a part of the punk subculture you should know this. Being a part of the subculture is going against what's "socially acceptable", and conservative beliefs. Therefore, you CANT be conservative and punk
2) This goes for all of them, but if you dont listen to punk music, you are not punk. It is a MUSIC-BASED subculture, so if you dont listen to the music theres literally no point in being a part of it anyways.
E M O
1) Just because you are wearing things that were popular in 2000s emo fashion, DOES NOT MAKE YOU EMO. These pieces of clothing can include, but are not limited to chains, studded belts/bracelets, and dyed hair. Wearing these things does not make you emo. The next point will explain what being emo is.
2) Emo is a shortened, abbreviated form of the word Emotional, or Emotioncore (it was either that or emocore I cant remember but it was one of the two). This means that you arent afraid to show your emotions, and they're usually very prominent in what you do.
3) again, this is a MUSIC-BASED subculture. If you just wear the fashion, you cannot call yourself emo. If you listen to the music, you can call yourself emo. If you listen to the music AND dress like you are in the subculture you can call yourself emo. But you cant JUST wear the clothes, since the subculture is music based.
G O T H
1) STOP. CALLING. WEARING. ALL. BLACK. GOTH. IT IS NOT GOTH. All of the "big t*tty goth girlfriends" ARE NOT ACTUALLY GOTH. Yes, they do wear black, but goth fashion is WAY more complex, and there are multiple ways to dress up and call yourself goth. Just wearing black is not one of them, since there are so many components.
2) If. You. Dont. Listen. To. Goth. Music. You. Are. Not. Goth. Again, all of those "big t*tty goth girlfriends" you're looking for arent goth, because most of them dont listen to the music associated with the subculture. (They might but most of them do not).
D E F I N T I O N S
Punk: (Adejective) relating to punk rock and its associated subculture. (Noun) a loud, fast-moving, and aggressive form of rock music, popular in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Emo: (Noun) a style of rock music resembling punk but having more complex arrangements and lyrics that deal with more emotional subjects. (Adjective) denoting or relating to emo and its associated subculture.
Goth: (Noun) a style of rock music derived from punk, typically with apocalyptic or mystical lyrics.
a member of a subculture favoring black clothing, white and black makeup, and goth music.
So, now you know more about alt subcultures. If I said something wrong please tell me and I can correct it, and if you have anything to add put in it the comments and I can add it!