Your phone is your most important accessory. It accompanies you everywhere you go. And, almost everyone has the same type of phone case these days: solid-color silicon cases, sleek leather ones, or the bulky kind that are built to survive the test of time (or, at least, being dropped on the floor). It’s time for some DIY phone case ideas.
Because if you want a phone case that really meshes with your personal style, you should break out the arts and crafts tools and make one on your own. Not only will it be unique, but it will also be a conversation starter. No one will have seen anything like it before, and you can walk them through making their own.
Looking for inspiration? 10 DIY phone cases ideas
For all of these 10 styles, you’ll need to start with a clear phone case. DIY phone case designs are made out of materials like paper, fabric, or even natural items, like flowers, which you then protect with the see-through case. Right, let’s get to the DIY phone case ideas.
1. Fabric Case
Head over to the craft store and spend some time perusing the rolls of funky prints or opulent embroidered fabrics. These are great for this kind of DIY project. All you need to do is carefully cut out a rectangle of your favorite fabric to fit between the clear case and the phone itself.
2. Draw your Own
Below, we’ll show you how to make your own printable graphic design with Picsart, but you can also draw one by hand. Start with a piece of paper that matches the dimensions of the back of your phone. Then, when you put the clear case over your little drawing, your handiwork will shine through. There’s DIY phone case ideas and then there’s DIY phone case ideas.
3. Pressed Flowers
This case takes cues from one of history’s favorite (and most romantic) DIY projects. Pluck petals from that bouquet on your kitchen countertop and press them between the pages of a book before gluing them to a piece of paper the size of your back of the phone. Then, let them “press on” for a long time under the weight of the clear phone cover.
This is another design you can easily make with Picsart. Type or write out your favorite motivational or funny quote on a template the size of your phone or even take a page (or type it out) of your favorite book. Then clamp the paper down with a clear case.
5. Fan Case
Big fan of a sports team? A type of car? Want a phone case idea that’s DIY for that K-pop band you love? Make your fan dreams come true by printing out your favorite photo of the group you’re crazy about, that car, or a sports team logo. Fit it to your phone under a clear case.
6. Paint Chips
Everyone loves those minimalist little Pantone color cards. Give your phone an arty makeover by grabbing some paint chips at your local hardware store (look for ones that are close to the size of your phone) and clamping them to the phone under the transparent case. This is not a cheap DIY project – it’s a free one.
If you have a little drawing from your toddler or an especially sweet note from your partner, what better way to remind yourself how adored you are than by seeing this gesture from your loved one every time you look down at your phone? Simply take the note or drawing and stick it under the clear acrylic case.
This is the definition of a 5-minute craft. Just clip your beloved snapshots to the back of your phone by fitting them under a clear case. Don’t shy away from layering. If you’re feeling especially creative, check out these collage tips…
Go retro with a collage that combines images you love. Layer and glue photos, magazine cut-outs, stickers, and even some glitter (why not?) onto a piece of paper the size of your phone, and show your creation off to the world under a transparent case.
When using a clear case, you have two options for letting your skills as a painter shine. You can make a tiny painting to go under the case or make confetti, stripe, or other geometric patterns right on the surface of the plastic. If you don’t have paint on hand, you can even use nail polish.
How to Make a DIY Phone Case with Picsart
Feeling inspired by these DIY phone case ideas? Time to put that creativity to work. You can do that with Picsart. Here’s how.
On the Web
1. Open the Picsart web editor and click on New Project to get started.
2. The first step whenever you make your own phone case is to measure your phone. Different model iPhones, for example, come in different sizes (and Androids are a whole other ball game). Use these measurements to establish a custom canvas size.
3. Now it’s time to add elements to your canvas. Use the Text, Stickers, and Shapes tools in the menu on the left-hand side of the page. You can also add in stock images or your own snaps using the Photos tool. In the case of shapes and text, you can modify the color by clicking on the droplet in the toolbox above your canvas. You can also change the font of the text by clicking on the respective icon in that same toolbox.
4. When you’ve made your final edits, click on the Export button and download your work.
5. Place your unique graphic between your phone and the clear case, and share your creativity with the world. Your DIY cell phone case is sure to turn heads.
On the App
Working on mobile? That’s no problem. Follow these simple steps to create your DIY phone case.
1. Open the Picsart app and tap on the purple plus sign to get started.
2. Scroll down to Drawings and tap on Pick Canvas.
3. Select a Custom canvas.
4. Enter your phone case dimensions in the height and width boxes and tap on Done.
5. Using the tools and customization options, create your unique DIY phone case. Use the Text, Stickers, and Shapes tools. Add in stock images or your own snaps using the Photos tool. Explore the multitide of creative options and make your choices.
6. When you’ve finished editing, tap on the checkmark in the top right-hand corner and select the Save and Share option to complete your work.
Picsart is a full ecosystem of free-to-use content, powerful tools, and creator inspiration. With a billion downloads and more than 150 million monthly active creators, Picsart is the world’s largest creative platform. Picsart has collaborated with major artists and brands like BLACKPINK, Taylor Swift, the Jonas Brothers, Lizzo, Ariana Grande, Jennifer Lopez, One Direction, Sanrio: Hello Kitty, Warner Bros. Entertainment, iHeartMedia, Condé Nast, and more. Download the app or start editing on web today to enhance your photos and videos with thousands of quick and easy editing tools, trendy filters, fun stickers, and brilliant backgrounds. Unleash your creativity and upgrade to Gold for premium perks!