Photo collages are a beautiful way to bring memories together. Whether it’s physically taping photo prints together or digitally placing them into a template, photo collages allow you to combine a variety of pictures in your own creative way to celebrate good times with good people.
Nowadays, creating digital photo collages are quick and easy, especially with PicsArt. Learn how to create unique collages with this step-by-step guide to make your memories really stand out! Take a look at these super simple steps on how to create a moodboard online.
- Go to PicsArt’s Editing Tool page.
- Click Add Sticker.
- Upload your image or select any image available in the library.
- Search for a sticker by typing in the search bar to the left. Once you find the sticker(s) you are looking for, simply click on it once and it will appear on your image. We suggest adding a few stickers along the same theme to make your moodboard catch the eye.
- Edit each sticker with the Adjust and Blend tool just above your image. You can also resize the sticker by clicking on it once and dragging and dropping along the borders using the white dots or dashes.
- To add text to your moodboard, simply click Text on the left-hand toolbar, add the appropriate text, and adjust font and color accordingly.
- To add photo effects to your moodboard, click Effects on the left-hand side, and select your desired effect. Pro tip: You can add photo effects to each individual sticker! Simply click on any Effects category, then click on the sticker. Explore the stunning variations of your sticker through each filter and select one.
- Once you’re done with all of your finishing touches, click Share or Download on the top right of the page and enjoy!
Photo Collage Grids
There are over 80 varieties of free collage templates available on the PicsArt app. This might sound overwhelming, but PicsArt has made it quite easy to narrow down your template options based on the number of photos you initially select. In other words, if you select six photos to display in your collage, the app will automatically show you six-photo layouts. You can then scroll through and decide if you want to change the layout style or perhaps add or remove additional photos. Some of our favorite collage templates include the “L-O-V-E” template, the heart and star combo template, and the unique shattered-glass template.
Frames for Every Occasion
If you’re looking for a more festive collage template for a specific occasion, look no further. Whether it’s a birthday, baby, or a cute color theme, PicsArt has a collage frame for every occasion imaginable. Open up the PicsArt app and tap on the plus sign at the bottom of your screen. Scroll down to Collages and select Frames. There are 36 Frames categories to explore! We’ve grouped them here by theme.
Birthday Party Collage
It’s A Boy
It’s A Girl
- Love and Marriage
Love Story Collages
Gilded Love Collages
Marry Me Collage
Love Ya Collages
In Shape Collages
Bold Shape Collages
- Miscellaneous Fun
My Magazine Collage
Fun Time Collages
Me and Mom Collages
Moodboards: The What and Why
What exactly is a moodboard and why would you use one? A moodboard is a type of visual collage that consists of a well thought out arrangement of photos, texts, and materials. The collective items should convey a general concept and represent the mood of your topic or project.
A moodboard allows you to express your vision and bring your ideas to fruition. Let’s say you are assigned a complicated project and need to organize your thoughts and create structure. It can be overwhelming knowing where and how to approach such a project, especially when you have tons of ideas running through your mind and need a way to express them. A moodboard is a great starting point that provides a space for you to express and organize your ideas visually. You can adjust your moodboard as you define and develop your project and essentially build a design story that represents your vision.
How To Create a Moodboard
As with most creative processes, there is no set way to create a moodboard and there is no specific moodboard template you must follow. Simply tap into your beautiful vision and let the ideas start flowing. Yes, that sounds easier said than done, but we put together some tips and tricks to help you define the direction of your project and allow you to build a cohesive, creative moodboard. If you’re not sure where to start or want to look at finished examples of moodboards, search “moodboard” on the PicsArt home page in the search box up top. There you’ll find a variety of diverse moodboards you can analyze and gather inspiration from. You can also Remix or try any of the moodboards if you don’t want to start from scratch.
If you’re starting from scratch, check out these step-by-step instructions on how to create your very own moodboard.
- Open the PicsArt app and tap on the plus sign at the bottom of your screen.
- Here is where you have to select the foundation of your moodboard. You can choose a Photo, Background, Canvas, Color Background, Drawing, or any template you’d like. If you’re not sure what to choose, we suggest starting out with a simple background color or canvas and adding colorful elements to make your moodboard pop.
- Start adding elements to your moodboard via Stickers, Photos, Text, and any other tool you’d like. Rearrange and resize your elements accordingly. Remember to tap Apply on the top right to save and layer each edit.
- Once you’re done with your masterpiece, tap the Download icon or hit Post.
Moodboard Tips and Tricks
- Build Around the Center
Your layout should display a strong focal point. The reader’s eyes should fixate on one or two larger images initially, and continue to look around the board for smaller supporting images or elements.
- Pick a Theme
Your theme should be clear as soon as someone looks at your moodboard. Don’t leave room for any obscurity or confusion. Instead, make sure your elements are aligned with your strong theme.
- Choose Loud Keywords
Keywords or phrases can be extremely powerful in a moodboard. It can convey exactly what you are thinking and add a complementary contrast against your images. Don’t go overboard with text, however. Stick to a few words or phrases!
- Don’t Be Afraid of Textures
When building a physical moodboard, adding different textures can really bring your board to life. Don’t worry though, with PicsArt’s variety of tools and effects, you can create life-like textures in your digital moodboard as well. Layer on different stickers and photo effects to create an illusion of texture.
- Practice Makes Perfect
If you end up with a perfect moodboard your first time around, you might be an artistic genius. But if you’re like most people, you need to practice before perfecting your style. We suggest building practice moodboards with different themes and elements until you find your groove.
- Nothing Is Permanent
The great thing about moodboards is that they represent a visual concept or design that can always change direction and evolve. Think of your moodboard as a draft you can always make edits to as you develop your story.
Take a look at these super simple steps on how to create a moodboard on the PicsArt app.
- Open the PicsArt app and tap on the plus sign at the bottom of your screen.
- Scroll down to Collages. Select any of the given options to start your Collage. We suggest selecting Grid if you want to add multiple photos in an organized grid. Tap Freestyle to manually move your photos around anywhere on the collage. Click Frames for a neat feature that provides colorful and thematic frames to jazz up your collage.
- Under the Grid and Freestyle options, you can select up to ten photos to include in your collage. Once you’ve selected your photos, click Next on the top right.
- Scroll through the impressive collection of collage layouts and select any template you’d like.
- Your photo collage is totally customizable. You can always resize and edit the individual photos and the whole layout. To resize an individual photo, simply tap on the photo and resize the photo frame by dragging the blue dots accordingly. This allows you to create your own unique layout and perhaps showcase one or two main photos by making them larger.
- All of PicsArt’s editing tools are at your disposal. Feel free to add any special effects to your collage. You can add Stickers, Text, Shape Masks, and anything else anywhere on your collage. Bonus tip: You can even tap on each individual photo and add different photo effects to each one. Imagine a stunning three-photo collage, each with three unique filters!
- If you want to resize your entire collage for social media, select Ratio, and choose the appropriate social media icon. This will automatically resize your collage into the perfect proportions for your social media post.
- Select Border and Background if you want to add an additional border or background color, image, or texture to your collage. You can really have fun with the colorful options here!
- Want to swap out a photo? No problem. Tap on the photo you want to remove and replace it with any new one in your camera roll. Select from the small thumbnails below your collage or tap the carrot to the left to fully open your camera roll and select a new photo. You can also select any available image from the Free Images library or Backgrounds.
- Remember to tap Apply after each edit to save every edit you make. Feel free to layer as many edits as you like. Once you’re done, tap the Download icon or Post!
If you’re looking for the best moodboard or photo collage maker on the web, PicsArt has got you covered with the best online editing tools to help you bring your vision to life. Remember, your moodboard tells a unique story from your personal perspective. As you continue to make more moodboards, you’ll learn how to better finesse your content and style. Don’t limit yourself, and have fun with it!
PicsArt all-in-one Photo and Video Editor, Collage, and Sticker Maker is the world’s largest creative platform with over 150 million monthly active creators and influencers. PicsArt has collaborated with major artists and brands like Taylor Swift, The Jonas Brothers, Gwen Stefani, Maroon 5, Lizzo, Meghan Trainor, One Direction, MONSTA X, Warner Bros. Entertainment, iHeartMedia, Condé Nast, and more. Download the app today to level-up your photos and videos with thousands of quick & easy editing tools, trendy filters, fun stickers, and brilliant backgrounds. Unleash your creativity with PicsArt and upgrade to Gold for awesome premium perks!