Rainbows are one of nature’s most magnificent phenomena. They are truly a mesmerizing reality to witness in person. And when it comes to art and graphic designs, rainbow effects can make your composition and layout pop in an incredibly unique way. Some graphic rainbow filters look so realistic that it’s hard to believe they were edited in! Today, we’ll go over what rainbows represent, how to create them at home, and how to use them in your designs. But first, let’s cover what exactly a rainbow is and how it’s formed to provide you with a little scientific context before you begin editing.
A rainbow is a meteorological occurrence that is caused by reflection, refraction, and dispersion of light. When sunlight enters a rain droplet, some of the sunlight is reflected while the rest of the light is refracted. This causes the light inside of the droplet to disperse into the many colors we see as it exits the droplet. This process results in a spectrum of light in the sky that looks like a multicolored arc. Rainbows caused by sunlight always appear directly opposite of the sun.
Now that we’ve covered the science behind rainbows, let’s talk about what they mean in our culture and society today. Whether it’s in real life or in a digital graphic, rainbows invoke feelings of happiness, connectedness, and hope, and in modern-day society, rainbows have come to represent just that. Especially among the LGBTQ+ community and its allies, rainbows symbolize pride, inclusivity, and a celebration of life. Rainbows embody such positive vibes, it’s hard not to like them!
Today, we’ll go over the many techniques you can use to incorporate rainbow effects into your designs. If you’re specifically looking for LGBTQ+ design ideas, check out Celebrate Inclusivity This Pride 🌈✨. You can show your support and LGBTQ+ pride by incorporating any type of rainbow photo effect into your image. Whether it’s a rainbow background, rainbow sticker, or rainbow text, your design will be radiating with positivity and love. Check out the aforementioned link for specific examples on creating unique rainbow effects in your PicsArt edit.
Different Ways To Use Rainbow Photo Effects
Whether you’re celebrating and supporting your community or you simply like the look, rainbow effects can really make your designs burst with energy and create a unique look that’s unparalleled. Let’s talk a little bit about the different ways you can use rainbow photo effects.
Rainbow Photo Filter
Adding a rainbow filter to your design is the quickest and easiest technique for an on-the-go rainbow photo effect. With a click of a button, you can transform your ordinary photo into a magnificent rainbow dream! Most photo editing apps allow you to customize the filter, so if you want a faint rainbow hue or a more bold and saturated look, you can adjust the filter’s scales to your liking. Check out the impressive collection of rainbow filters on PicsArt’s Rainbow Effects web tool. We’ll go over instructions on how to use these filters a little later.
Rainbow Background or Overlay
A rainbow background provides a foundation for you to add other design elements to whereas a rainbow overlay will add a layer of rainbow stripes on top of your design. Photo editing apps like PicsArt allow you to add a variety of rainbow backgrounds or overlays to your image and adjust the opacity until you achieve your desired look.
Stickers are another fun and unique way to add creative elements to your design. You can add rainbow-specific stickers, or compile a multitude of colorful stickers to create your own rainbow. For example, you can add different color heart emojis to create your own rainbow graphic. Check out the Stickers tool in the PicsArt app for an endless amount of rainbow stickers. You’ll find every type of rainbow graphic imaginable! If you don’t find the sticker you’re looking for, you can always make your own custom sticker.
Similar to the Stickers feature, the Brushes feature in PicsArt mobile allows you to apply rainbow stickers with a paint-like brush tool. You can select a rainbow pattern and use your finger to brush it onto your image in any pattern you’d like. For example, you can draw a heart around your selfie, but instead of a solid color, you can use the brush tool and paint with a cute rainbow butterfly pattern!
Rainbow Outline or Vignette
Another way to use rainbow effects in your image is to add a rainbow outline or vignette to your photo. Using a vignette will emphasize the main subject in your photo by creating a focal point. For example, you can add an opaque rainbow spiral or ring around the main subject of your photo, which will create a beautiful organic outline and maintain focus on the center of your image.
Adding some rainbow text on your image can be a great way to add a bit of color to your design. This works especially well if your design is mostly black, white, and gray. There are a few ways to create a rainbow text. You can either make each letter of your text a different color or you can make each word or sentence a different color. You can also create different colored backgrounds for each word or sentence while having a visible text color that will show against all the rainbow colors. Remember the correct rainbow order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.
How Do You Make a Rainbow in Your Room?
You’ve seen some interesting trends and filters that have taken over social media and gone viral among the masses. One of those highly popular trends that took over Instagram a few years back was the rainbow light filters. This trend involves using light refraction made by homemade objects to create a gorgeous rainbow effect on your selfie or your background. If you’re wondering how to create a homemade rainbow light filter, Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Let’s take a look at how to put a rainbow effect on pictures using simple objects you can find at home!
1. Make a Rainbow Using a Mirror
What You Need: Large bowl or dish, water, mirror, sunlight, window, and a white piece of paper.
Instructions: Fill a large bowl or dish about halfway with water. Place a mirror inside of the bowl so it is partially submerged underwater and partially out of the water. Place the bowl with the mirror inside near a window with direct sunlight hitting the mirror. This method works best early morning or before sundown. Take your piece of white paper (the bigger the better) and move it around above the bowl to capture the rainbow. If you can’t find it initially, don’t give up! Move the white paper around until you eventually catch the rainbow light. You can adjust how the rainbow looks by moving the paper closer or further away from the mirror.
2. Create a Rainbow Using a CD
What You Need: Flashlight and a CD.
Instructions: If you were born after the early 2000s, you might not have a clue about the struggles of burning a CD and you probably don’t have any laying around the house. If you do happen to have a CD or DVD, all you need to do is flash a light onto the reflective side of the CD and a visible rainbow will bounce off onto yourself or wherever you are pointing the CD.
3. Make a Rainbow With a Homemade Prism
What You Need: Three mirrors, sunlight, or strong light.
Instructions: A prism is a plastic or glass geometric object (usually triangular) that separates white light into the colors of the rainbow by refracting light and breaking it according to its wavelength. Essentially the same process that occurs in nature can be recreated using three mirrors. Create a homemade prism by pointing three mirrors at each other and holding your prism near sunlight or a strong light. You should see a beautiful rainbow light reflected off.
How To Make a Rainbow Light Filter for Your Photos
If you don’t have any of these materials handy or you simply don’t want to go through the hassle of creating a homemade rainbow, there’s an easy fix for that, and one that will provide you with insanely beautiful results. Follow these super easy instructions on how to make a rainbow light filter for your photos.
- Download the PicsArt app for iOS, Android, or Windows.
- Tap on the plus sign at the bottom of your screen.
- Upload the image to which you’d like to add a rainbow light filter.
- Scroll through the icons at the bottom of your screen and select Mask.
- Select the Prism option at the bottom.
- Tap on any of the gorgeous prism filters.
- To make additional adjustments, double-tap the prism filter and you’ll be prompted with control settings to adjust how you see fit.
- The top four icons allow you to change the orientation of the filter on your photo. By selecting each orientation icon, you will see the placement of the filter change to the top, right, bottom, or left side of your image. Select your desired filter orientation.
- Underneath you will see Opacity and Hue options. Opacity can intensify or lessen the prism effect. The Hue scale adjusts the color scheme of the filter. Tap Apply on the top right to save your edit.
- Want to add more than one prism filter for an extra dramatic rainbow effect? You certainly can with PicsArt’s layering capabilities. Select another prism filter and repeat the same steps above. Remember to tap Apply to save each layer.
- Check out the Lens Flare tool for a unique set of lens flare effects that are similar to the prism filters. Combining effects from both tools can produce an outstanding masterpiece!
- Done with your edit? Save your photo edit and share it on PicsArt with the hashtag #RainbowLight!
If you’re looking for an insanely beautiful rainbow photo filter online, look no further. Follow these simple instructions on your tablet, laptop, or desktop.
- Go to the Rainbow Effects page on PicsArt’s desktop editor.
- You can Upload an image of your choice or select a Free to Edit image from the PicsArt library.
- Scroll through the gorgeous rainbow filters and select one. We know, it’s hard to pick just one!
- Hover over the icons just above your photo. Find the Adjust tool and click once. Here, you can adjust the Fade and Brightness of your photo.
- Next, click the Blend tool. You’ll find an array of additional color and lighting effects you can apply. Pro tip: Depending on your photo, sometimes it’s easier to make adjustments with the Blend tool first, then the Adjust tool.
- To add rainbow stickers, click on the Stickers tool on the left-hand side. Then type “rainbow” in the search bar. Click on a sticker, resize, and rearrange on your photo accordingly.
- To add text, click on the Text icon on the left-hand side. Select the heading, subheading, or body text option. Next, type your text and adjust for font, color, outline, and shadow using the tools above your image.
- Done with your edit? Click Download on the top right.
PicsArt all-in-one Photo and Video Editor, Collage, and Sticker Maker is the world’s largest creative platform with over 150 million monthly active creators and influencers. PicsArt has collaborated with major artists and brands like Taylor Swift, The Jonas Brothers, Gwen Stefani, Maroon 5, Lizzo, Meghan Trainor, One Direction, MONSTA X, Warner Bros. Entertainment, iHeartMedia, Condé Nast, and more. Download the app today to level-up your photos and videos with thousands of quick & easy editing tools, trendy filters, fun stickers, and brilliant backgrounds. Unleash your creativity with PicsArt and upgrade to Gold for awesome premium perks!