Knowing how to remove something from a picture can majorly improve your imagery. No matter what level of experience you possess, sometimes you’ll need to edit something out of a shot, whether that’s distracting text, a photobomber, unnecessary clutter or objects taking the focus off your subject. Fret not, with this simple guide you’ll master the art of cleaning up your photography in no time at all.
Different Ways to Improve Your Pictures
Here are some of the most common use cases photographers will encounter when they need to remove something from a picture.
- Removing something from a natural image to achieve the perfect landscape shot
- Deleting a person (or people) that distracts from the main subject or focal point
- Getting rid of shadows, clouds, and other elements that dilute the impact of the image
- Cleaning up graffitti, a trashcan or trash to make a picture look neater
- Removing anything that doesn’t serve the purpose of the photo
Best practices when removing things from photos
Before we dive into the process of getting rid of all those unwanted elements from our imagery, we must keep the following best practices in mind.
- Choose the right photo for the task
It’s always better if there’s some empty space around the chosen object or subject. And if the subject or object is small, or doesn’t occupy a lot of space in the picture that helps.
- Try to trace the object or person you want to remove as meticulously as possible
Try to zoom in and don’t forget to use the eraser tool if you select excess area.
- Make sure the photo will still work without the removed object(s)
Don’t remove something if it draws attention to its removal. The viewers may focus too much on the edited area and that’ll ruin the whole purpose of attempting perceived perfection.
- Consider the ethical and moral implications of removing things or people from photos
Ask yourself if that blemish is actually ruining your portrait. Will removing someone from an image cause offence? Does the deletion of text change the interpretation of the image context negatively? Keep these kinds of moral considerations in mind when editing.
- Once you’re done with the removal, ask for a second opinion
It’s always better to have a set of fresh eyes judge the removal. Ideally, they won’t even notice there was something there before.
Remove text from pictures
Picsart offers the easiest way to remove text from pictures. In the Web Editor, there’s a special background remove tool solely dedicated to removing objects or text from pictures. Just follow these instructions, and you’ll be able to remove text from pictures in just a few clicks.
1) Open the Picsart Editor and click on New Project.
2) Upload your image (or choose one from the stock photo libraries).
3) From the panel above select the Removal Tool.
4) Use the Brush tool to highlight the text you want to remove. If it’s too thin or thick for the text size, slide the Size square to regulate the size of the brush. Use the Eraser tool above the Brush if you select excess area.
5) As soon as you’re done outlining the text, click Remove. Voila, Picsart AI-powered technology will remove the selected text and you can add another text in its place or keep it blank.
Remove people from photos
Knowing how to edit people out of pictures is a handy editing tool to have in your arsenal. Perhaps you need to remove an ex – the modern version of physically cutting someone out of a photo. Or maybe you want to delete flocks of tourists from a pic. How’s how you can do it on Picsart mobile. It’s similar to how we achieved the removal of text.
1) Open the Picsart app and click on the purple plus sign.
2) Upload an image from your photo gallery or choose one of the free pics in the stock libraries.
3) Tap on the Tools symbol and select Remove.
4) Select your Brush size and highlight the figure you want to remove. If it’s too thin or thick, adjust the slider.
5) Be sure to refine the areas around the now removed figure using the Eraser tool. Select Apply when you’re done and tap on Next to save or post your edit.
Pro Tip: If person you’re trying to remove from the photo has some empty space around them the removal process will be much easier and smoother.
Get Rid of Unwanted Clutter in Seconds
How many times has this happened? You get home from a day of shooting and sit down to edit your near-perfect photo, only to realize there’s something in the background. With the Picsart Removal tool, you can get rid of anything standing in the way of you and that flawless shot in seconds. It’s essentially the same as removing text or people from your imagery. You just need to upload the image (either online or in-app) and highlight the object, refining the areas around with the eraser for a smooth finish. AI-magic does all the hard work. You just need to tidy up and you’ll have retrieved that perfect shot in no time. And nobody ever needs to know about the edit either.
Remove Any Photo Backdrop in One Click
Is there too much going on in the backdrop of your product shot? Maybe you just don’t like the look of it and want to remove the background from your image. That’s where the Background Remover tool comes to the rescue. All you have to do is upload an image and let the AI technology automatically remove the background. You can choose to leave it as is (with no background) or add any sticker or new background. A whole new photo, primed and ready for digital publication.
Swap a Plain Photo Background for a Pretty One
If you decide you want to completely change the background of your image, Picsart Background Changer tool is perfect for that. There are times when the background of an image is fine but you suspect it could be even better. If you’re short on inspiration or time, simply upload your image to the Background Changer tool, then click Edit to peruse new background options. You can upload your own image to make it the new background or you can choose an image from one of the stock libraries available. There’s no limit to how many images you can try, so play around with as many backgrounds until you find the perfect one for you.
Picsart is a full ecosystem of free-to-use content, powerful tools, and creator inspiration. With a billion downloads and more than 150 million monthly active creators, Picsart is the world’s largest creative platform. Picsart has collaborated with major artists and brands like BLACKPINK, the Jonas Brothers, Lizzo, Sanrio: Hello Kitty, I am a Voter, Bebe Rexha, Maroon 5, One Direction, Warner Bros. Entertainment, iHeartMedia, Condé Nast, and more. Download the app or start editing on web today to enhance your photos and videos with thousands of quick and easy editing tools, trendy filters, fun stickers, and brilliant backgrounds. Unleash your creativity and upgrade to Gold for premium perks!